Mum left with plastic tube in her stomach for a year after gastric band surgery leaves her in agony
A Midland mum was left in agony for more than a year after a two and a half inch tube of plastic was left in her body after gastric Band surgery
Helen Reynolds, from Rugeley, was admitted to Manchester Spire Hospital for gastric bypass
surgery in January 2014 following unsuccessful gastric band surgery
the previous year.
Two months after the operation the 50-year-old started to suffer from excruciating pain in her abdomen, which left her practically house bound.
After months of debilitating pain Helen was left shocked after scans at Spire Hospital in Little Aston revealed that a foreign object had been left inside her.
“I am flabbergasted at how this has happened to me,” said Helen, a Mum-of-one.
“I suffered for months and months with excruciating pain in my stomach, which I can only describe as like labour pains.
“My husband was extremely worried as I became very pale and looked ill.”
Helen suffers from a condition called autoimmune condition called Sjogren’s disease.
She decided to have weight loss surgery as she was concerned about her health and the arthritis in her knees.
But after surgery, she needed a further operation in May 2015 – a full 16 months later- to remove the object which turned out to be a plastic tube left inside of her when she had a gastric bypass
Helen added: “I finally went to see a consultant at Spire Little Aston Hospital as my GP thought that I might have cysts on my ovaries and would need to have them removed.
“I had a CT scan which revealed that there was a foreign body near my right pelvis bone – I was completely shocked.”
Surgeon Professor Basil Ammori, at Manchester Spire Hospital, has since admitted his mistake and apologised for leaving the foreign body inside.
But Helen has since instructed lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the matter further, to see how this oculd have happened.
Raman Dhillon, a specialist medical negligence lawyer at Irwin Mitchell’s Birmingham office, said: “This is a devastating case that shows the lasting damage which simple avoidable errors can cause.
“For two and a half inches of plastic tubing to be left inside Helen for an entire year is completely unacceptable.
“This constitutes a ‘never event’ according to national Patient Safety Guidelines which recognises that such occurrences are unacceptable and completely preventable if the appropriate procedures have been implemented.”
A spokeswoman from Spire Healthcare told the Mail: “At Spire Healthcare, our top priority is always the welfare and safety of our patients. We take this responsibility very seriously and set extremely high standards across every aspect of our hospitals.
“Spire Healthcare has an obligation to protect patient confidentiality and is unable to comment on individual patient cases.”