Bariatric surgery has been proven to be an efficient weight loss approach for individuals who battle to lose weight through diet plan and physical exercise.
In fact, the National Institutes of Health has recognized bariatric surgical procedure because the only efficient therapy to combat serious weight problems, and preserve weight loss in the long term.
Although not every type of bariatric methods are the same, and their achievement also depends on the range of other elements like physical exercise, nutrition as well as other way of life modifications.
The center for Bariatric Surgery & Metabolic Medicine at University Medical Center of Princeton (UMCP) offers several different surgical options for weight reduction, and provides a comprehensive and multidisciplinary therapy method, including consultations with weight-loss surgeons, nutritional counseling and coordination of care for obesity-related conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure.
You’re considered an ideal candidate for bariatric surgery if you have failed to get rid of weight after at least two supervised attempts – such as a physician-prescribed diet plan, behavior modification, counseling with a dietitian or enrollment in a group excess weight reduction program – and meet any of the following criteria:
Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 40 or higher or if you’re at least 100 pounds over your ideal body excess weight.
Your BMI is 35 or more and you have coexisting medical problems (comorbidities) related to your obesity. Comorbidities include hypertension, diabetes mellitus, obstructive sleep apnea and high cholesterol.
Your BMI is 30 or more and you have coexisting medical problems. Adjustable gastric banding is approved by the Federal Drug Administration for those with a BMI of 30 or greater with comorbidities.
When considering weight reduction surgical procedure, there are three main options:
LAP-BAND surgical procedure (laparoscopic banding) features an inflatable band that is placed around the upper part of the stomach, dividing it into two unequal parts. The upper part acts because the new stomach, restricting food intake and promoting weight reduction.
Gastric Sleeve (sleeve gastrectomy) is a procedure in which about 80 percent of the stomach is removed, leaving 20 percent of the original capacity, which is shaped like a sleeve. Gastric sleeve also eliminates the portion of the stomach that produces a hormone that stimulates hunger, further supporting weight loss efforts.
Gastric bypass surgery separates the stomach into two unequal compartments with less than 10 percent to 15 percent of the stomach remaining usable for food consumption. During digestion, the food empties from this tiny stomach pouch into the upper intestine.
In evaluating what type of procedure is right for you, it can be helpful to think of the options as steps on the ladder. LAP-BAND is the least invasive procedure, but requires the biggest way of life changes, while gastric bypass is the most complex procedure, but has the greatest achievement rate.
It is important to discuss the options in detail with your surgeon as well as your family and friends to help determine which is best for you and your lifestyle.
Because bariatric surgical procedure is considered medically necessary, most insurance companies will often cover it.
Depending on the procedure, many patients shed more than 100 pounds during the first year after surgery and continue to lose weight in subsequent years. Results vary from patient to patient, with the best results coming from those who are committed to lifestyle change.
Keep in mind, weight reduction surgical procedure is not a miracle cure. It is important to set realistic weight loss goals for yourself right from the start.
By following your doctor’s advice and adopting essential new habits, you will position yourself for long-term success. These tips can help:
Attend each and every follow-up visit with the doctors and support staff.
Eat smaller portions and listen to your “fullness” signals. Avoid snacking.
Keep track of your eating habits.
Choose healthier foods for better nutrition. Proper nutrition is essential after weight reduction surgical procedure.
Physical exercise regularly, doing the physical activities you enjoy most.
Participate in support groups both in person and online.
Join a bariatric exercise program for support and motivation.
Get into the habit of monitoring your weight.
Celebrate your weight loss achievement with friends and family.
Most importantly, think of bariatric surgery as a tool to jump start weight reduction and provide you the leverage you need to build healthy, lifelong habits
gastric sleeve surgery in France | Affordable gastric sleeve surgery abroad | best price for gastric sleeve surgery | cost of gastric sleeve